1.07.2019

Nobody asked for this

June 4, 2014. That was the last date I had published to this blog. Although not reflected in the current role of seven posts, it's a project I started way back in (I think) the summer of 2002, when I first moved to the Rio Grande Valley.

Over that run, I rebranded the blog a few times over, pivoting away from opinionated ramblings about sports and music to create a more focused journal reflective of my emerging professional identification. That did not stick, likely because I was already busy doing -- and writing -- other things.

This year, blogging is a practice I'm going to take up again. Some motivating factors/objectives:

Not everything I want to write about "fits" within my current research agenda. Presently, my academic writing is centered on research projects relevant to writing center work, with other major projects situated within technical communication and writing studies. But there are other things I'm interested in, some that I can fit into my scholarly agenda (soccer, paleontology), and others that are more tenuously connected (the current political climate, popular music). Blogging will provide me with the space to articulate and hash out ideas and perspectives that might not fit within the current scope of my professional work but that I'm interested in, nevertheless.

I'm an avid Twitter user, or at least responder, typically tripping over myself to revise pithy posts that receive scarce (but appreciated!) engagement. Same goes for Instagram and lurking the comments sections of the post-Gawker suite. While the actual benefits of these practices require further study, one clear drawback for my own writing is that because of the combined kairotic constraints of limited space and need for a quick turnaround, other online modes are less conducive for informed, thoughtful, and contemplative response. I want to respond to the things I read, but I want to do a better job of it.

When I do respond, I hope this blog allows me to receive feedback on germinating ideas that could develop into more substantial projects. At its best, I think, this blog will function as a sort of laboratory or greenhouse where I can work through ideas that could potentially sprout into more substantial, and professional relevant, writing projects. In order to facilitate this growth, I plan on leaving a slightly-curated comments section open, steadfastly ignoring the quantitative temptation of page views or engagements.

Even if no responses come, I still want to cultivate the habit of writing every day. As mentioned above, I do a lot of writing already, but like any practice (see also: running, second language learning, guitar, house maintenance) it can become too easy to skip a day, and then two, and then weeks without progress. Not sure that I need the post counter to reach 365 by this time next year, but writing every day is an attainable goal.

If I can do these things like write about things while maintaining a focused tone informed by my professional qualifications, I might actually contribute something of value here.

No comments: